BluePower Pro - Victron Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the Victron community around the world.

• Difference between Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 and SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100

Posted by Lumin on January 4, 2024 at 5:27 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

I’ve been looking into upgrading my solar setup and am considering two models from Victron: the SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 and the SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100.

I understand that they are both MPPT charge controllers from the same company, but I’m having a hard time figuring out which one would be best suited for my needs.

Can anyone explain the main differences between these two models? Specifically, I’m interested in understanding their suitability for different system sizes, their efficiency, and any other key features that might influence my decision. Any advice or personal experiences with these models would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

SolarVoyager replied 5 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • SolarVoyager

January 4, 2024 at 5:32 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

The SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 and the Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 TR are both solar charge controllers from Victron Energy, but they are designed for different applications and have distinct features.

Here’s a breakdown of their differences:

Model and Series:

• SmartSolar MPPT 100/50: This is part of the smaller, more commonly used SmartSolar range designed for small to medium solar applications.
    • Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 TR: This model is part of the RS series, which is designed for larger, more robust systems.

Maximum PV Input Voltage:

• SmartSolar MPPT 100/50: The ‘100’ in the name indicates a maximum PV open circuit voltage of 100V.
    • Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 TR: The ‘450’ indicates a much higher maximum PV open circuit voltage of 450V, suitable for larger and more complex systems.

Maximum Charge Current:

• SmartSolar MPPT 100/50: The ’50’ in the model name indicates it can handle up to 50A of charge current.
    • Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 TR: The ‘100’ signifies a maximum charge current of 100A, double that of the 100/50 model, meaning it can handle more significant power flow from larger arrays.

Targeted Use:

• SmartSolar MPPT 100/50: Ideal for small to medium-sized solar setups like residential homes, small cabins, or RVs.
    • Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 TR: Designed for larger installations like commercial buildings, large off-grid homes, or industrial applications.

Features and Technology:

• Both models share core features like Bluetooth connectivity for monitoring and MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) technology for efficient energy conversion. However, the RS series includes additional features or more robust components to handle the increased power and complexity of larger systems.

Price:

• Given its capacity and intended use, the Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 TR is more expensive than the SmartSolar MPPT 100/50, reflecting its higher capacity and advanced features suitable for larger systems.

Physical Size:

• The RS 450/100 TR is much larger in size to accommodate the increased electronic components and cooling mechanisms needed for managing higher currents and voltages.

Efficiency:

• Both units will be highly efficient due to the MPPT technology, but the RS 450/100 TR has slightly different efficiency characteristics due to its design for larger systems.

In summary, while both are high-quality solar charge controllers from Victron, the SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 is suited for smaller applications with lower power requirements. In contrast, the Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 TR is designed for large-scale installations with higher voltage and current handling capabilities. Your choice between the two would depend on the size and requirements of your solar energy system.