BluePower Pro - Victron Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the Victron community around the world.

• Multiplus-II inverter never enters Float mode with BlueNova BN52V-100 BP battery

Posted by popo on January 17, 2024 at 8:30 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

I have a BlueNova BN52V-100 5.2kWH BP RacPower battery with a Multiplus-II 48V inverter.

Everything works great, other than the inverter never going into Float mode.

After Battery drain (usage), it will enter Bulk charging mode, then Absorption, but will never go into the last stage being Float mode. Is there a setting I have done incorrectly that is causing this?

maxalight replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • maxalight

January 17, 2024 at 8:38 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

No, nothing on your end that is incorrect, so don’t worry – This is normal for this battery.

In fact, the BlueNova head technician did confirm to me that they actually removed the Float functionality from the batteries as of version V0.5 of the firmware. NOTE: As of writing this, their BP batteries are on V0.7.

The reason being that LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries have a different chemistry that doesn’t benefit much from float charging, unlike lead acid which requires it.

Float charging is a method where a battery is kept at a constant voltage that is slightly below its maximum charge voltage, maintaining it at full charge without overcharging. This is beneficial for lead-acid batteries as it keeps them ready for use and compensates for the natural discharge they experience.

However, LiFePO4 batteries have a very low self-discharge rate and are much more stable at full charge. Continuously maintaining them at a Float charge could lead to overcharging over time, potentially damaging the battery and reducing its lifespan.

Moreover, LiFePO4 batteries have built-in Battery Management Systems (BMS) that efficiently manage their charge levels, making the float function redundant and less beneficial.