BluePower Pro - Victron Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the Victron community around the world.

• What Exactly is PowerControl on the MultiPlus-II 230V?

Posted by Laziath on January 16, 2024 at 8:11 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

I’ve noticed that my MultiPlus-II 230V inverter has a feature called PowerControl, but I’m not entirely sure what it does. Could you provide a detailed explanation of PowerControl and its benefits in managing my power system?

maxalight replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Arannis

January 16, 2024 at 3:29 pm
    Up
    Down

PowerControl is a smart feature of the MultiPlus-II 230V inverter/charger that helps manage the energy flow from your AC source to ensure that it doesn’t exceed the available current limit.

It’s particularly useful when you’re connected to a limited AC source, like a small generator or a weak grid connection.

Here’s how it works:

• You set an AC input current limit, which is the maximum current the inverter is allowed to draw from the AC source.

• The PowerControl feature monitors the power consumption in real-time. If the total demand from your loads and the battery charger exceeds the set limit, PowerControl will automatically reduce the charging current to prevent the AC source from being overloaded. This ensures that the essential loads continue to receive power without interruption.

For instance, if your AC source can provide a maximum of 30 amps and your loads suddenly demand 35 amps, PowerControl will reduce the charger’s current draw to maintain a total consumption at or below 30 amps. This dynamic adjustment helps prevent the

AC source from tripping breakers or suffering from voltage drops, which could cause power interruptions or damage sensitive equipment.

The benefits of PowerControl are significant, particularly for off-grid systems or installations with variable power sources. It allows you to make the most of a limited power supply without manual intervention, ensuring priority loads always have the power they need and battery charging can continue without causing supply issues. It essentially acts as a smart load management system, prioritizing power usage according to your needs and the limitations of your power source.

Moreover, PowerControl can be essential for protecting generators from being overloaded, which can lead to wear and tear or even failure. By managing the charging current, PowerControl extends the life of your power source and ensures a stable and reliable power supply for your connected equipment.

• maxalight

January 17, 2024 at 7:04 am
      Up
      Down

Ok so, I have a Multi-Plus II 48V 3000VA inverter, with a max load of 2400W. I have set my “max charge current” setting to 10A (in the Victron Cerbo’s DVCC settings menu), thus it uses 10a x 54.5V (battery voltage) = 545W for charging my battery.

Therefore, if I am charging at 545W, it leaves me with 2400W – 545W = 1855W for the rest of my AC loads.

Now, in terms of where PowerControl comes in – What happens if I turn on appliances that comes to, let’s say 2000W of AC loads. If my batteries are charging at 545W, this would exceed the 2400W tolerance of the inverter at 2545W.

So, would power control come into play here and lower the charge current of the batteries accordingly, to only allow a max load of 2400w on inverter?