BluePower Pro - Victron Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the Victron community around the world.

• What should I do if the ‘overload’ LED is on and my MultiPlus-II 230V shuts down

Posted by Jerrola on January 14, 2024 at 5:32 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

Help needed! My MultiPlus-II 230V just shut down and the ‘overload’ LED is on. I think I might have a short circuit or something. What’s the best course of action here?

Nexus replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Nexus

January 14, 2024 at 6:40 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

If your MultiPlus-II has shut down and the ‘overload’ LED is continuously illuminated, it’s an indicator that the inverter has turned off due to an overload or a possible short circuit.

First, don’t worry, this is a safety feature to prevent damage to the unit and connected devices.

Here’s what you can do:

• Turn off or disconnect all devices connected to the inverter.

• Check for any signs of a short circuit in your wiring or devices.

• Once you’ve located and fixed any potential issues, reset the inverter by turning it off and then back on.

To reduce the possibility of overload, methodically remove some loads from the inverter. Start with the largest consumers of power, which are typically heating elements (kettles, toasters, heaters, electric oven/stove), large motors (air-conditioners, washing machines, dishwashers etc), tools (drill, grinder, saw etc) or pumps.

Steps to reduce load:

• If you’re running multiple appliances simultaneously, try to prioritize and only run essential ones, especially if you’re aware that the inverter is nearing its capacity limit. Check your inverter’s official data spec sheet to see how much load it can handle.

• Remember that continuous loads near the inverter’s maximum capacity can sometimes trigger an overload if there’s a sudden spike in demand. Consider using energy-efficient appliances and LED lighting to reduce the overall consumption.

• Check if the inverter’s overload protection settings match the requirements of your connected loads. The user manual should guide you on how to adjust these settings if necessary.

• If you have a Cerbo GX or other monitoring system, review the logs to see what was happening at the time of the overload. This can give you insights into which devices were drawing power and help you plan your usage to avoid future overloads.

By taking these steps, you should be able to identify and alleviate the cause of the overload, allowing your MultiPlus-II to function correctly. If the overload condition persists despite these measures, it might indicate a more serious issue with the inverter itself or the power system, and professional technical support would be advisable.